We’re very excited to announce the launch of the 2022 BRWF Writing Competition.
The calibre of stories we received in 2021 was simply outstanding, and in conjunction with the Bellingen Shire Librarians, we can’t wait to read what our local authors have in store next.
The short story competition will be open across three categories;
- Junior – Open to ages 7 – 12
- Secondary – Open to ages 13 – 17
- Open – Open to everyone ages 18+
Theme: Take the reins/rains/reign
This year’s theme is somewhat open to interpretation …
A story about the weather? About an ancient dynasty? A tale of horses, or of someone seizing the moment? It’s up to you how to choose.
- First Prize: $50
- Second Prize: $25
- First Prize: $150
- Second Prize: $100
- First Prize: $300
- Second Prize: $200
Entry criteria and details
- Entry is free
- You must live in the Bellingen, Nambucca or Coffs Harbour Council areas
- Maximum Word Limit
- Junior: 250 words
- Secondary: 1000 words
- Open: 1500 words
- Fiction and creative non-fiction stories only
- Entries Close May 20th at 8PM
- By submitting your story, you agree that the decision of the judges is final.
How to enter
- Junior submissions will be accepted handwritten or typed.
- Secondary and Open must be typed (no handwritten submissions)
- Must be submitted in Word or Pages format (no PDF or other formats accepted)
- The digital file name must be the story title
- Must be submitted digitally to email@example.com
- MUST NOT have author’s name identified on the story submission
- Include the following information in the body of your email (not in the story submission):
- Your Name
- Contact Details (Phone Number, Email)
- Category (Junior, Secondary or Open)
- Age (if submitting to Junior or Secondary only)
- Your Suburb
- If you are submitting a handwritten story, please include the above information on a separate piece of paper and mail to PO Box 390, Bellingen, NSW 2454
We wish all authors the best of luck with their writing, and don’t forget to get your story submitted before applications close on May 20th!